Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Title: Cinderella is Dead
Author: Kalynn Bayron
Release date: July 7, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “It’s 200 years after Cinderella found her prince, but the fairy tale is over. Teen girls are now required to appear at the Annual Ball, where the men of the kingdom select wives based on a girl’s display of finery. If a suitable match is not found, the girls not chosen are never heard from again.
Sixteen-year-old Sophia would much rather marry Erin, her childhood best friend, than parade in front of suitors. At the ball, Sophia makes the desperate decision to flee, and finds herself hiding in Cinderella’s mausoleum. There, she meets Constance, the last known descendant of Cinderella and her step sisters. Together they vow to bring down the king once and for all–and in the process, they learn that there’s more to Cinderella’s story than they ever knew . . .
This fresh take on a classic story will make readers question the tales they’ve been told, and root for girls to break down the constructs of the world around them.“
- While I’m not big on fantasy, I can definitely get behind an updated, retold feminist fairytale!
- Queer Black girls overthrowing the patriarchy? Um, yes, please!
- I’m super obsessed with the illustrated cover featuring a Black girl looking defiantly over her shoulder–plus, those purples & blues! *swoons*
- It’s already getting rave reviews
- It’s all about change & freedom, which is exactly the kind of YA books we need.
- It’s perfect for fans of fairytales, fantasy, or retellings
- Because you should be supporting #OwnVoices books by Black authors
- If you’re a fantasy reader, you need to be reading fantasy stories from POC, and especially Black, authors–not just the popular white authors that have dominated the genre for way too long
- The publisher is offering a super cute enamel pin as a pre-order gift!
- Because we all need to be reading subversive, feminist, queer, Black-character centered books.
Is Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron on your TBR?