“Like That? Read This!” is my new weekly feature where I provide librarian-curated book recommendations. Each week I’ll be picking a recent release and sharing a list of similar books to pick up if you liked it! “Like That? Read This!” is also perfect when you’re waiting for a library copy of a hot new release and need something to read in the meantime.
Librarians and educators are welcome to use “Like That? Read This!” to create readalike lists, displays, or other readers advisory tools for their students/readers!
Title: The Black Flamingo
Editor: Dean Atta
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release date: May 26, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “I masquerade in makeup and feathers and I am applauded.
A boy comes to terms with his identity as a mixed-race gay teen – then at university he finds his wings as a drag artist, The Black Flamingo. A bold story about the power of embracing your uniqueness. Sometimes, we need to take charge, to stand up wearing pink feathers – to show ourselves to the world in bold colour.“
- Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
- Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens by Tanya Boteju
- Hurricane Child by Kacen Callender
- Turtle Under Ice by Juleah del Rosario
- Ordinary Hazards by Nikki Grimes
- All Boys Aren’t Blue by George M. Johnson
- Dear Haiti, Love Alaine by Maika Moulite & Maritza Moulite
- Like a Love Story by Abdi Nazemian
- Who Put this Song On? by Morgan Parker
- The Stars and the Blackness Between Them by Junauda Petrus
- The Moon Within by Aida Salazar
- American Street by Ibi Zoboi
Have you read The Black Flamingo? What else would you add to this list?