Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the links in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, where book bloggers are invited to share their top ten lists centered on a certain theme.
This week’s theme is ‘new to me authors I read in 2022’ and I have plenty to share! I tried a lot of new-to-me authors last year– some were debut authors and some were ones I’d heard about but just never had the chance to try. I discovered so many new favorites and am excited to share some of them with you!
- My Mechanical Romance by Alexene Farol Follmouth: This author writes adult SFF under the name Olivie Blake and I’d heard so many good things! I really enjoyed this cute YA romance starring a Filipino-American girl and a Mexican-American Jewish boy on a robotics team.
2. We Are the Scribes by Randi Pink: I’ve heard great things about Randi’s books and was so excited to finally pick one up! I loved that this one was a unique take on feminism, Black girlhood, and finding your voice.
3. How to Succeed in Witchcraft by Aislinn Brophy: I love a good witchy book! I really enjoyed the balance of magical themes with very real plotlines about race, gender, and abuses of power. I’m looking forward to more from Aislinn!
4. Jasmine Zumideh Needs a Win by Susan Azim Boyer: As a teen services librarian, I’m always on the hunt for approachable historical YA fiction, and this one fits that bill perfectly! It also tackled a historical event that I wasn’t really familiar with. I’m hoping to see more historical fiction from Susan!
5. Mirror Girls by Kelly McWilliams: I picked up this historical YA gothic horror on a whim, and I’m so glad I did! I couldn’t put it down and I definitely want to read more from Kelly now.
6. What’s Coming to Me by Francesca Padilla: I listened to this one on audio without really knowing much about it, and I’m so glad I did! It was super fast paced and entertaining, while also being thoughtful and authentic. I’ll definitely be keeping my eye out for more by Francesca!
7. Caprice by Coe Booth: I’d heard about Coe’s books before but had never read them. I ended up listening to this one on audio for a committee I’m on, and thought it was really well done. It’s narrated by the amazing Bahni Turpin, so I highly recommend that format!
8. The Red Palace by June Hur: I’d been curious about June’s historical mysteries before, and I finally decided to buddy-read this with a friend. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would, and definitely plan to check out some of June’s other books!
9. Sugar Town Queens by Malla Nunn: I’d heard a lot of buzz about Malla’s previous book, When the Ground is Hard, and decided to try this one. I really loved this story about friendship, complex mother/daughter relationships, biracial identity, and mental health!
10. The Undead Truth of Us by Britney S. Lewis: This YA novel approached grief in such a unique way! I’m definitely curious to see what this author will write next.
Who were some new-to-you authors that you discovered in 2022?
One thought on “Top Ten Tuesday | New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2022”