Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Title: Heartbreak Symphony
Author: Laekan Zea Kemp
Publisher: Little Brown
Category: Young adult
Genre: Contemporary, romance
Release date: April 5, 2022
Synopsis: “Aarón Medrano has been haunted by the onstage persona of his favorite musician ever since his mother passed away. He seems to know all of Aarón’s deepest fears, like that his brain doesn’t work the way it should and that’s why his brother and father seems to be pushing him away. He thinks his ticket out is a scholarship to the prestigious Acadia School of Music. That is, if he can avoid blowing his audition.
Mia Villanueva has a haunting of her own and it’s the only family heirloom her parents left her: doubt. It’s the reason she can’t overcome her stage fright or believe that her music is worth making. Even though her trumpet teacher tells her she has a gift, she’s not sure if she’ll ever figure out how to use it or if she’s even deserving of it in the first place.
When Aarón and Mia cross paths, Aarón sees a chance to get close to the girl he’s had a crush on for years and to finally feel connected to someone since losing his mother. Mia sees a chance to hold herself accountable by making them both face their fears, and hopefully make their dreams come true. But soon they’ll realize there’s something much scarier than getting up on stage—falling in love with a broken heart.”
- It’s pitched as Clap When You Land meets On the Come Up, which are two books I absolutely adore!
- I’ve heard amazing things about Laekan’s previous book, Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet, and have been wanting to read some of her work.
- Despite having zero musical talent, I love books about music and musicians!
- I love coming-of-age stories that tackle big topics like family and grief.
- I’m a teen services librarian in a predominately Latinx community, so I’m always on the lookout for new YA books with Latinx characters!
- If you love contemporary YA books that deal with grief while also dishing out a side of hope like Clap When You Land or The Beauty That Remains, you’ll love this one!
- If, like me, you’ve been hearing lots of buzz for Laekan’s work, you won’t want to miss her newest release.
- It’s a must-read for music lovers or readers who love music-themed books!
- The cover is absolutely stunning (and surely that makes you want to read it, right?!)
Is Heartbreak Symphony on your TBR?