Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Title: The Passing Playbook
Author: Isaac Fitzsimons
Publisher: Dial Books
Category: Young adult
Genre: Romance, contemporary
Release date: June 1, 2021
Synopsis: “Fifteen-year-old Spencer Harris is a proud nerd, an awesome big brother and a Messi-in-training. He’s also transgender. After transitioning at his old school leads to a year of bullying, Spencer gets a fresh start at Oakley, the most liberal private school in Ohio.
At Oakley, Spencer seems to have it all: more accepting classmates, a decent shot at a starting position on the boy’s soccer team, great new friends, and maybe even something more than friendship with one of his teammates. The problem is, no one at Oakley knows Spencer is trans – he’s passing.
So when a discriminatory law forces Spencer’s coach to bench him after he discovers the ‘F’ on Spencer’s birth certificate, Spencer has to make a choice: cheer his team on from the sidelines or publicly fight for his right to play, even if it means coming out to everyone – including the guy he’s falling for.”
- It’s pitched as Love, Simon meets Bend It Like Beckham (one of my favorite movies!!) which sounds right up my alley
- Even though I have zero athletic ability, I’m a sucker for sports books!
- I’m always looking for more YA books with trans rep to purchase for my library’s teen collection
- I love the illustrated cover so much! It has the perfect touch of simplicity with the white background
- Because it’s a queer YA romance, and that’s basically all I need to know
- Because we should all be reading & supporting books with Black trans characters getting happily ever afters
- If you’re a fan of queer YA romances like Meet Cute Diary and Felix Ever After or sports books like Furia or Throw Like a Girl, this one will be right up your alley
- It releases on the first day of Pride Month, so if you’re looking to read more queer books during Pride, it’s the perfect one to start with!
- It’s already getting lots of positive reviews, including from popular authors like Becky Albertalli and Dahlia Adler
- Isaac Fitzsimons is hosting an awesome pre-order campaign if you need another excuse to pre-order it!
Is The Passing Playbook on your TBR?