Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Title: The Infinity Courts
Author: Akemi Dawn Bowman
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Release date: April 6, 2021
Synopsis: “Eighteen-year-old Nami Miyamoto is certain her life is just beginning. She has a great family, just graduated high school, and is on her way to a party where her entire class is waiting for her—including, most importantly, the boy she’s been in love with for years.
The only problem? She’s murdered before she gets there.
When Nami wakes up, she learns she’s in a place called Infinity, where human consciousness goes when physical bodies die. She quickly discovers that Ophelia, a virtual assistant widely used by humans on Earth, has taken over the afterlife and is now posing as a queen, forcing humans into servitude the way she’d been forced to serve in the real world. Even worse, Ophelia is inching closer and closer to accomplishing her grand plans of eradicating human existence once and for all.
As Nami works with a team of rebels to bring down Ophelia and save the humans under her imprisonment, she is forced to reckon with her past, her future, and what it is that truly makes us human.
From award-winning author Akemi Dawn Bowman comes an incisive, action-packed tale that explores big questions about technology, grief, love, and humanity.”
- Akemi is one of my all time favorite authors! Her YA contemporaries have been downright incredible and I’m so excited for her science-fiction/fantasy debut.
- I’m on the Street Team for this book, so I’ve been helping to promote it and now I can’t wait for it to actually be out in the world!
- The concept is so unique and I don’t think I’ve seen any other SFF books set in the afterlife.
- That cover! One of my favorite things about Akemi’s books is that they feature mixed-race Asian characters (like me!) and seeing a girl like that on the cover means so much.
- I love books that explore what it means to be human, and I think this one will do so in a creative and different way.
- Because you should be supporting Asian authors!
- Okay, seriously, look at that cover! Those magenta tones, Nami looking defiantly right at you. How can you look at that cover and not want to immediately read it?
- If you’ve enjoyed Akemi’s previous novels, you definitely won’t want to miss this one! But if you’re new to her work, this one is action-packed, fast-paced, and immersive, so it’s a great starting point.
- If you’re a fan of the Warcross duology by Marie Lu, this is a must-read!
- YA readers who love science-fiction, fantasy, and stories that explore humanity & live will love it.
Is The Infinity Courts on your TBR?