Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Author: Tami Charles
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release date: January 12, 2021
Pre-order It from Bookshop.org!
Synopsis: “A ripped-from-the-headlines novel of ambition, music, and innocence lost, perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo and Jason Reynolds!
Be bold. Get seen. Be Heard.
For seventeen-year-old Denver, music is everything. Writing, performing, and her ultimate goal: escaping her very small, very white hometown.
So Denver is more than ready on the day she and her best friends Dali and Shak sing their way into the orbit of the biggest R&B star in the world, Sean “Mercury” Ellis. Merc gives them everything: parties, perks, wild nights — plus hours and hours in the recording studio. Even the painful sacrifices and the lies the girls have to tell are all worth it.
Until they’re not.
Denver begins to realize that she’s trapped in Merc’s world, struggling to hold on to her own voice. As the dream turns into a nightmare, she must make a choice: lose her big break, or get broken.
Inspired by true events, Muted is a fearless exploration of the dark side of the music industry, the business of exploitation, how a girl’s dreams can be used against her — and what it takes to fight back.”
- It’s described as being perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo and Jason Reynolds, who are two of my favorite authors!
- It sounds like it has a similar vibe to Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson, which was one of my favorite YA books of 2020.
- Although I have zero musical talent, I love books about music or starring aspiring musicians!
- I love the cover and honestly can’t stop staring at it.
- I’ve heard incredible things about Tami’s previous work, and am so excited to pick up one of her books.
- Because you should be supporting Black authors!
- If you like fast-paced, ripped-from-the-headlines stories, you definitely won’t want to miss this one.
- If you enjoy Jason Reynolds, Elizabeth Acevedo, Lamar Giles, or Tiffany D. Jackson, Muted is right up your alley!
- Okay, seriously, how can you look at that cover and not want to read it?
Is Muted by Tami Charles on your TBR?
Thanks for reading my post! I would like to ask that you please also take the time to read about how you can support Black Lives Matter, as well as the Junk Terror Bill initiative.