Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, where book bloggers are invited to share their top ten lists centered on a certain theme.
This week’s theme was books that make me smile! The past few months have been rough, so it was actually really nice to think back on some of the books that have brought me the most joy.
FYI: I’m an affiliate of bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you purchase through one of the links in this post. If you decide you’d like to buy one of these books, purchasing through these links helps support both my work on this blog & independent bookstores! But in any case, I hope you read these books–whether it’s by buying them or checking them out from your local library!
1. What I Like About You by Marisa Kanter: If you haven’t read this YA rom-com, you need to fix that now. It’s about secret identities, cupcakes, book bloggers, and has #OwnVoices Jewish rep! I’m already counting this as one of my 2020 favorites.
2. You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson: This YA contemporary about a queer Black girl running for prom is my new favorite book! I absolutely loved every single page and was smiling from the beginning till the very end.
3. The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar: Is there anything that makes me happier than two queer girls of color falling for each other? Nope!
4. I’ll Be the One by Lyla Lee: This rom-com about a fat, bi Korean-American girl competing in a competition to be the next K-pop star was an absolute delight. I was grinning all the way through and am OBSESSED with it!
5. The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang: If you haven’t read this sweet graphic novel about gender, acceptance, & fashion, you need to fix that ASAP.
6. Stand Up, Yumi Chung! by Jessica Kim: This middle grade novel about an Asian-American girl dreaming of becoming a stand-up comedian was so precious and made me laugh so many times!
7. You Had Me at Hola by Alexis Daria: This diverse romance was both sweet & steamy, and it made me so happy to see topics like consent & vulnerability discussed!
8. This is What it Feels Like by Rebecca Barrow: Honestly, is there anything happier than girl bands creating music and rebuilding friendships?
9. I Love You So Mochi by Sarah Kuhn: I adored this sweet contemporary romance about connecting with your culture & finding your artistic voice! It was such a fun read and totally made me want to go to Japan.
10. I Wanna Be Where You Are by Kristina Forest: Something about road trips always brings me joy, and I love that there’s also a dog in this one!
What’s a book that makes you smile?
Thanks for reading my post! I would like to ask that you please also take the time to read about how you can support Black Lives Matter, as well as the Junk Terror Bill initiative.
23 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books that Make Me Smile”
I’m super excited for You Should See Me in a Crown – I’m waiting for my hold at the library. Glad you enjoyed it!
My TTT: http://theburstingbookshelf.com/10-books-that-made-me-smile-top-ten-tuesday/
I absolutely loved You Should See Me in a Crown too – it definitely made it onto my list as well! Also, I’m totally adding a bunch of new books onto my TBR thanks to your list. Great group of books – they all look so fun and upbeat!
Love Henna Wars too
Great list! I’ll Be the One sounds so sweet and fun.
Such a pretty list! 😀 I’m glad you enjoyed so many lovely books!!
You Should See Me In Crown is so good! It’s definitely a highlight gor me this year. I recently got I Love You So Mochi, too.
I reaaaally need to get to You Should See Me In A Crown — it didn’t come out in the UK until after the US, so I only got my copy recently. 😀 I’m so looking forward to it.
Here’s my TTT!
I like the sound of What I Like About You! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.
This is such a great list. I haven’t read any of these, but I’m adding them to my To Read list because they all sound so cute and fun!
My TTT: https://www.traversingchapters.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-make-me-smile/
What I Like About You keeps on catching my eye. I think I will need to pick it up for sure! Thanks for the post.
Somehow You Should See Me in a Crown appeared on my Goodreads to-read shelf and I have no clue when I added it. I should take it as a divine sign that I need to read the book ASAP! Happy reading and happy Tuesday!
Great list! I’ve been wanting to read What I Like About You and I Love You So Mochi!
Here’s my TTT: https://laurenbodiford123.wordpress.com/2020/07/13/books-that-make-me-smile-ttt/
I really need to read You Should See Me in a Crown sometime!
My TTT .
What I Like About You sounds so fun, adding it to my Goodreads asap!! (: Also, love love love your graphics! Thanks for such a fun post! 🥰
I love the title “You should see me in a crown”. I’m 40 + and still say that! LOL.
Your blog is beautiful. You can be very proud of yourself!
AND you love cats!! Please hop over to my blog and say hi to my “alter ego” aka, my baby cat, Elza. She is the voice of my blog.
Have a good week! Here’s my TTT
The cover to I’ll be the one always makes me smile. Also, the header to your Top Ten Tuesday posts (with the cat and all) always makes me smile too for some reason.
These graphics are amazing! Do you make them yourself?
I can’t wait to read The Henna Wars and You Should See Me in a Crown!
Just looking at these covers makes me smile! They all look like fun, happy books and, I agree, we can all use some extra joy right now.
I can’t wait to read You Should See Me In A Crown. I’m also really enjoyed The Prince and the Dressmaker. Thanks for sharing!
Lauren @ Always Me
I love the cover of I’ll Be The One. The cover model sure looks happy. 🙂
Great picks! I’ve just bought the Henna Wars and I’m waiting for it to arrive. I’m really excited! You should see me in a crown has been on my tbr list for a while and I really need to read it. I hadn’t heard of Stand Up Yumi chung but it sounds like an excellent read. Thank you for all the recommendations
The Henna Wars also makes me smile!!! It’s such a sweet, amazing book, and I absolutely adore the sibling relationship between Priti and Nishat 😍 I really want to read You Should See Me in a Crown, and also I Love You So Mochi! Great list 🙂