Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Title: Hunted by the Sky
Author: Tanaz Bhathena
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Release date: June 23, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “Gul has spent her life running. She has a star-shaped birthmark on her arm, and in the kingdom of Ambar, girls with such birthmarks have been disappearing for years. Gul’s mark is what caused her parents’ murder at the hand of King Lohar’s ruthless soldiers and forced her into hiding to protect her own life. So when a group of rebel women called the Sisters of the Golden Lotus rescue her, take her in, and train her in warrior magic, Gul wants only one thing: revenge.
Cavas lives in the tenements, and he’s just about ready to sign his life over to the king’s army. His father is terminally ill, and Cavas will do anything to save him. But sparks fly when he meets a mysterious girl–Gul–in the capital’s bazaar, and as the chemistry between them undeniably grows, he becomes entangled in a mission of vengeance–and discovers a magic he never expected to find.
Dangerous circumstances have brought Gul and Cavas together at the king’s domain in Ambar Fort . . . a world with secrets deadlier than their own. Exploring identity, class struggles, and high-stakes romance, Hunted by the Sky is a gripping adventure set in a world inspired by medieval India.“
- I’ve heard great things about Tanaz’s previous books and have been wanting to pick up some of her work!
- It’s inspired by medieval India. While I don’t read a ton of fantasy, I am always intrigued by fantasy settings inspired by real cultures!
- I love that cover! Gul looks so strong, confident, and defiant.
- I’m always looking for authors of color to support! We especially need more women of color in the science fiction & fantasy world.
- I’m a sucker for a story about revenge!
- Because you should be supporting authors of color in the SFF genres!
- it’s an #OwnVoices story inspired by Indian culture
- If you’re a YA fantasy reader, this is a perfect new read to pick up that is unique and different from a lot of other fantasy out there
- Tanaz’s previous novels have been well received, so you definitely don’t want to sleep on her fantasy debut!
- Don’t we all need more books starring strong, independent, can’t-be-stopped girls?!
Is Hunted by the Sky by Tanaz Bhathena on your TBR?