“Like That? Read This!” is my new weekly feature where I provide librarian-curated book recommendations. Each week I’ll be picking a recent release and sharing a list of similar books to pick up if you liked it! “Like That? Read This!” is also perfect when you’re waiting for a library copy of a hot new release and need something to read in the meantime.
Librarians and educators are welcome to use “Like That? Read This!” to create readalike lists, displays, or other readers advisory tools for their students/readers!
Title: When We Were Magic
Editor: Sarah Gailey
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release date: March 3, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “A moving, darkly funny novel about six teens whose magic goes wildly awry from Magic for Liars author Sarah Gailey, who Chuck Wendig calls an “author to watch.”
Keeping your magic a secret is hard. Being in love with your best friend is harder.
Alexis has always been able to rely on two things: her best friends, and the magic powers they all share. Their secret is what brought them together, and their love for each other is unshakeable—even when that love is complicated. Complicated by problems like jealousy, or insecurity, or lust. Or love.
That unshakeable, complicated love is one of the only things that doesn’t change on prom night.
When accidental magic goes sideways and a boy winds up dead, Alexis and her friends come together to try to right a terrible wrong. Their first attempt fails—and their second attempt fails even harder. Left with the remains of their failed spells and more consequences than anyone could have predicted, each of them must find a way to live with their part of the story.“
- Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson
- The Lost Coast by Amy Rose Capetta
- Foul is Fair by Hanna Capin
- Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova
- The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman
- Sawkill Girls by Claire LeGrand
- Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno
- The Wise and the Wicked by Rebecca Podos
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power
- Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft edited by Tess Sharpe & Jessica Spotswood
- These Witches Don’t Burn by Isabel Sterling
- The Babysitters Coven by Kate Williams
Have you read When We Were Magic? What else would you add to this list?