Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the links in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, where book bloggers are invited to share their top ten lists centered on a certain theme.
I haven’t posted regularly in a loooooooong time but am trying to get back into the swing of blogging again! This week’s TTT theme is “Books I Enjoyed, but Have Never Mentioned On My Blog,” which is the perfect opportunity for me to share some of my favorites from the last year(ish). So here are some of my recent favorites that I’ve discovered during my time away from blogging.
- This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron: I absolutely adored this YA contemporary fantasy starring a queer Black girl with a magical connection to plants. The sequel, This Wicked Fate, is releasing later this year and I can’t wait!
2. Love & Other Disasters by Anita Kelly: Honestly, this queer adult romance starring a non-binary protagonist might be my favorite adult romance ever.
3. The Darkness Outside Us by Eliot Schrefer: This genre-blending YA novel about two queer boys stuck in a space ship was honestly mind-blowing. I finished it months ago but am still thinking about it!
4. Bad Witch Burning by Jessica Lewis: I love witchy books, and this YA novel starring a Black girl with the ability to raise the dead was amazing! I loved that the author used fantastical elements to explore the difficult choices young Black girls are often forced to make.
5. Out of the Fire by Andrea Contos: Okay, this fast-paced YA thriller fully cemented Andrea Contos as an auto-read author for me!
6. When We Make It by Elisabet Velasquez: This YA contemporary in verse totally deserves more hype and is a must-read for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo! I especially recommend the audiobook, which is read by the author.
7. The Passing Playbook by Isaac Fitzsimons: This YA contemporary had Bend it Like Beckham vibes and a queer romance starring a Black trans teen. It was so sweet and I have been recommending it to everyone!
8. Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé: This is hands down one of the best YA thrillers I’ve ever read. I can’t wait for more from Faridah!
9. The Girl From the Sea by Molly Ostertag: This queer teen graphic novel was absolutely beautiful, and might be one of my favorite graphic novels of all time.
10. Disability Visibility (Adapted for Young Adults): 17 First-Person Stories for Today edited by Alice Wong: I really enjoyed this book, which is a shortened version of the original book. I’m so glad this book exists and I’ve already recommended it a lot at my library!
What are some of your favorites from the last year(ish)?