Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Title: Fat Chance, Charlie Vega
Author: Crystal Maldonado
Publisher: Holiday House
Release date: February 2, 2021
Synopsis: “Coming of age as a Fat brown girl in a white Connecticut suburb is hard.
Harder when your whole life is on fire, though.
Charlie Vega is a lot of things. Smart. Funny. Artistic. Ambitious. Fat.
People sometimes have a problem with that last one. Especially her mom. Charlie wants a good relationship with her body, but it’s hard, and her mom leaving a billion weight loss shakes on her dresser doesn’t help. The world and everyone in it have ideas about what she should look like: thinner, lighter, slimmer-faced, straighter-haired. Be smaller. Be whiter. Be quieter.
But there’s one person who’s always in Charlie’s corner: her best friend Amelia. Slim. Popular. Athletic. Totally dope. So when Charlie starts a tentative relationship with cute classmate Brian, the first worthwhile guy to notice her, everything is perfect until she learns one thing–he asked Amelia out first. So is she his second choice or what? Does he even really see her? UGHHH. Everything is now officially a MESS.
A sensitive, funny, and painful coming-of-age story with a wry voice and tons of chisme, Fat Chance, Charlie Vega tackles our relationships to our parents, our bodies, our cultures, and ourselves.”
- It might be one of my favorite book covers of 2021!
- I love that it’s a coming of age story about a fat brown teen girl.
- It’s about loving yourself, taking up the space you deserve, and asking for what you want.
- I can already tell it’ll be a huge hit at my library, so I can’t wait to add it to our collection!
- I’ve already seen several positive reviews and blurbs from big authors like Mason Deaver and Gabby Rivera
- It has a diverse cast: Charlie is a biracial fat Latina, her friend Amelia is pansexual & Black, and her love interest is Korean-American
- Because you should be supporting Latinx authors!
- It sounds perfect for fans of Julie Murphy, Claire Kann, and Lyla Lee
- The publisher, Holiday House, has an excerpt you can read online to get excited!
- Because we should all be reading & hyping diverse, fat-positive books
- Okay, seriously, just look at that cover!
Is Fat Chance, Charlie Vega by Crystal Maldonado on your TBR?