Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Title: I’ll Be the One
Author: Lyla Lee
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release date: June 16, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “The world of K-Pop has never met a star like this. Debut author Lyla Lee delivers a deliciously fun, thoughtful rom-com celebrating confidence and body positivity—perfect for fans of Jenny Han and Julie Murphy.
Skye Shin has heard it all. Fat girls shouldn’t dance. Wear bright colors. Shouldn’t call attention to themselves. But Skye dreams of joining the glittering world of K-Pop, and to do that, she’s about to break all the rules that society, the media, and even her own mother, have set for girls like her.
She’ll challenge thousands of other performers in an internationally televised competition looking for the next K-pop star, and she’ll do it better than anyone else.
When Skye nails her audition, she’s immediately swept into a whirlwind of countless practices, shocking performances, and the drama that comes with reality TV. What she doesn’t count on are the highly fat-phobic beauty standards of the Korean pop entertainment industry, her sudden media fame and scrutiny, or the sparks that soon fly with her fellow competitor, Henry Cho.
But Skye has her sights on becoming the world’s first plus-sized K-pop star, and that means winning the competition—without losing herself.“
- It’s pitched as being perfect for fans of Julie Murphy and Jenny Han–both authors I love!
- I love rom-coms, especially ones that are fat-positive
- I’m obsessed with the pastel rainbow cover featuring a happy fat girl, and the positive fluffy vibes it evokes!
- The teens at my library are obsessed with K-Pop, so I’m always looking for books featuring K-Pop, like Maurene Goo’s Somewhere Only We Know!
- I’m always down to read an #OwnVoices book from a woman of color
- Because you should be supporting fat-positive stories centered on characters of color
- Because if you love K-pop, or books about music, this is definitely the book for you
- Rom-com and contemporary YA romance lovers will adore it
- It’s coming out in June–just in time to be the perfect fluffy summer romance for you!
- It’s a story about a fat girl who doesn’t play by the rules and isn’t afraid to be seen. This is a book we ALL need to read!
Is I’ll Be the One by Lyla Lee on your TBR?
10 thoughts on “Can’t-Wait Wednesday | I’ll Be the One”
This is definitely on my TBR! I can’t wait for this book, you’re so right too about supporting fat positive stories. Also the cover is SO beautiful and awesome that it isn’t illustrated. Love this weekly meme that you do Ari, gets me so excited about all the amazing 2020 releases.
Yay! So glad to hear you’re excited for this one too! And thank you so much for your kind words!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love that this is about body positivity and Skye sounds amazing!
YES we always need more body positive books!
This sounds wonderful! I am adding it to my wish list. My daughter is a dancer and not the typical thin people have come to expect. She’s still young and so hasn’t had to deal with the negativity yet, but I imagine she will at some point. 😦 Dancers come in all shapes and sizes. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this book when you read it.
Yay! I hope your daughter gets to see herself reflected in more books and media! We definitely need more books like this. Another great one you might be interested in is I Wanna Be Where You Are by Kristina Forest. The main character is a black ballet dancer and it discusses how her black body is treated differently than the traditional thin white dancers. It’s also a super cute rom-com!
I’ve been keeping my eye on this one. Not too long now. Hope you love it!
I just downloaded an eARC and am so excited to start it!
I’m also planning on reading this one. It’s sounds like a great story and we definitely need more like this!
This sounds so fun but I have to admit I know very little about the whole K-pop thing. Hope you love it!