Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, where book bloggers are invited to share their top ten lists centered on a certain theme.
Last week I posted about Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month, but did you know that May is also Jewish American Heritage Month? This month is super special for me, because I am both Asian American and Jewish! This week I’m sharing my top ten books featuring Jewish characters! This list includes both favorites of mine, and unread books on my TBR!
1. Sick Kids in Love by Hanna Moskowitz: This YA novel with Jewish rep and chronic illness rep is one of my favorite YA romances! It’s so sweet and definitely a must-read.
2. What I Like About You by Marisa Kanter: If you follow me on IG or Twitter, you’ve probably already seen me screaming about how much I love this YA rom-com about a Jewish teen book blogger! I cannot say enough wonderful things about it, so I’ll leave it at this: it’s already one of my favorite books of the year and you NEED to read it!
3. Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon: The #OwnVoices Jewish rep in Rachel’s novels is always FANTASTIC and I’m so honored to be on the street team for this book! I have an eARC of this 24-hour enemies-to-lovers YA romance and cannot wait to dive into it!
4. It’s a Whole Spiel edited by Katherine Locke & Laura Silverman: This anthology of Jewish YA stories has been on my TBR for so long and I still haven’t had a chance to read it! I’m hoping to get to it soon because it features so many authors I love!
5. In the Neighborhood of True by Susan Kaplan Carlton: We definitely need more historical YA about Jewish characters that don’t just focus on the Holocaust! This one is a great addition that I’m always recommending to people.
6. Little & Lion by Brandy Colbert: Brandy is one of my favorite YA authors, and I love that this one is about Jewish identity, queerness, blended family, and mental health.
7. Recommended for You by Laura Silverman: I loved Laura’s Girl Out of Water and this YA rom-com about teen booksellers sounds so cute! It’s described as To All the Boys Ive Loved Before meets You’ve Got Mail, which has so super excited. Plus, look at that adorable bookish cover!
8. Color Me In by Natasha Diaz: This coming of age story about a half-Black, half-Jewish teen exploring her identity was such a valuable addition to YA! It’s such a moving story of family, self, privilege, race, culture, and first love.
10. Something to Talk About by Meryl Wilsner: I’m always on the lookout for more f/f romances, and I loved that this one featured a Jewish woman and an Asian American woman! It was super cute and I can’t wait to read more queer romance from Meryl.
10. Camp by L.C. Rosen: I’ve heard great things about this author, and I can’t wait to read this YA summer camp novel that has Jewish rep and queer rep!
What’s your favorite book starring a Jewish character?