“Like That? Read This!” is my new weekly feature where I provide librarian-curated book recommendations. Each week I’ll be picking a recent release and sharing a list of similar books to pick up if you liked it! “Like That? Read This!” is also perfect when you’re waiting for a library copy of a hot new release and need something to read in the meantime.
Librarians and educators are welcome to use “Like That? Read This!” to create readalike lists, displays, or other readers advisory tools for their students/readers!
Title: When You Were Everything
Editor: Ashley Woodfolk
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release date: March 10, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “You can’t rewrite the past, but you can always choose to start again.
It’s been twenty-seven days since Cleo and Layla’s friendship imploded.
Nearly a month since Cleo realized they’ll never be besties again.
Now, Cleo wants to erase every memory, good or bad, that tethers her to her ex–best friend. But pretending Layla doesn’t exist isn’t as easy as Cleo hoped, especially after she’s assigned to be Layla’s tutor. Despite budding new friendships with other classmates—and a raging crush on a gorgeous boy named Dom—Cleo’s turbulent past with Layla comes back to haunt them both.
Alternating between time lines of Then and Now, When You Were Everything blends past and present into an emotional story about the beauty of self-forgiveness, the promise of new beginnings, and the courage it takes to remain open to love.“
- We Used to Be Friends by Amy Spalding
- Our Year of Maybe by Rachel Lynn Solomon
- This is What It Feels Like by Rebecca Barrow
- I Wanna be Where You Are by Kristina Forest
- Squad by Mariah MacCarthy
- The Revolution of Birdie Randolph by Brandy Colbert
- The Past and Other Things that Should Stay Buried by Shaun David Hutchinson
- Sorry Not Sorry by Jaime Reed
- 500 Words or Less by Juleah del Rosario
Have you read When You Were Everything? What else would you add to this list?