Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Title: Does My Body Offend You?
Author: Mayra Cuevas & Marie Marquardt
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Category: Young adult
Release date: April 5, 2022
Synopsis: “A timely story of two teenagers who discover the power of friendship, feminism, and standing up for what you believe in, no matter where you come from. A collaboration between two gifted authors writing from alternating perspectives, this compelling novel shines with authenticity, courage, and humor.
Malena Rosario is starting to believe that catastrophes come in threes. First, Hurricane Maria destroyed her home, taking her unbreakable spirit with it. Second, she and her mother are now stuck in Florida, which is nothing like her beloved Puerto Rico. And third, when she goes to school bra-less after a bad sunburn and is humiliated by the school administration into covering up, she feels like she has no choice but to comply.
Ruby McAllister has a reputation as her school’s outspoken feminist rebel. But back in Seattle, she lived under her sister’s shadow. Now her sister is teaching in underprivileged communities, and she’s in a Florida high school, unsure of what to do with her future, or if she’s even capable making a difference in the world. So when Ruby notices the new girl is being forced to cover up her chest, she is not willing to keep quiet about it.
Neither Malena nor Ruby expected to be the leaders of the school’s dress code rebellion. But the girls will have to face their own insecurities, biases, and privileges, and the ups and downs in their newfound friendship, if they want to stand up for their ideals and–ultimately–for themselves.”
- I just started this one and am only a few pages in, but I’m already hooked by the story and can’t wait to read more!
- I love books with multiple perspectives, especially when they feature characters with really different identities/backgrounds like this one does.
- I love YA books with a feminist message, and I really appreciate that this one tackles sexist dress codes!
- I work in a predominately Latinx community, so I’m always keeping my eye out for books by Latinx authors & featuring Latinx characters. I’m excited to have another YA book with Puerto Rican rep to add to our library collection!
- Recently we’ve been getting lots of detailed illustrated covers in YA, so I find the simplistic color-block style of this cover super unique and refreshing.
- If you like books with multiple POVs written by different authors, like I’m Not Dying With You Tonight, Miss Meteor, or Yes No Maybe So, this one is right up your alley.
- Because books about feminism are for everyone! We can all benefit from reading books that challenge & examine privilege, bias, and sexism.
- If you’ve enjoyed feminist YA contemporaries like Watch Us Rise, Moxie, or The Nowhere Girls, you won’t want to miss this addition.
- If you enjoyed Mayra’s or Marie’s previous books, or have them on your TBR, this is a perfect opportunity to try more of their work.
Is Does My Body Offend You? on your TBR?