Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Note: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase via the link in this post. This is a way to support indie bookstores & the work I put into this blog! It’s appreciated, but never expected.
Title: A Phở Love Story
Author: Loan Le
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release date: February 9, 2021
Synopsis: “When Dimple Met Rishi meets Ugly Delicious in this funny, smart romantic comedy, in which two Vietnamese-American teens fall in love and must navigate their newfound relationship amid their families’ age-old feud about their competing, neighboring restaurants.
If Bao Nguyen had to describe himself, he’d say he was a rock. Steady and strong, but not particularly interesting. His grades are average, his social status unremarkable. He works at his parents’ pho restaurant, and even there, he is his parents’ fifth favorite employee. Not ideal.
If Linh Mai had to describe herself, she’d say she was a firecracker. Stable when unlit, but full of potential for joy and fire. She loves art and dreams pursuing a career in it. The only problem? Her parents rely on her in ways they’re not willing to admit, including working practically full-time at her family’s pho restaurant.
For years, the Mais and the Nguyens have been at odds, having owned competing, neighboring pho restaurants. Bao and Linh, who’ve avoided each other for most of their lives, both suspect that the feud stems from feelings much deeper than friendly competition.
But then a chance encounter brings Linh and Bao in the same vicinity despite their best efforts and sparks fly, leading them both to wonder what took so long for them to connect. But then, of course, they immediately remember.
Can Linh and Bao find love in the midst of feuding families and complicated histories?”
- I’m a sucker for any books about food or set in restaurants!
- When Dimple Met Rishi is one of my all-time favorite YA romances, so I’m always intrigued by anything compared to it.
- I got super interested when I saw that Loan Le is doing a virtual launch with another one of my favorite authors, Maurene Goo!
- I love that it’s an #OwnVoices novel starring two Vietnamese-American teens
- It’s a romance between two teens from feuding families
- THAT COVER. The lilac color, the detail of her ripped jeans and his converse? *chef’s kiss*
- Because you should be supporting Vietnamese-American authors!
- Because it’s obviously the perfect book to read while eating a big bowl of phở (consider this a nudge to support local & family-owned restaurants near you, if you’re able to do so!)
- It’s perfect if you’re a fan of When Dimple Met Rishi, Tweet Cute, or The Way You Make Me Feel.
- It’s a must-read if you like rivals turned lovers!
- Okay, seriously? THAT COVER.
- Who can resist a book with a cute pun in the title?
Is A Phở Love Story by Loan Le on your TBR?