Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Title: Felix Ever After
Author: Kacen Callender
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release date: May 5, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “From Stonewall and Lambda Award–winning author Kacen Callender comes a revelatory YA novel about a transgender teen grappling with identity and self-discovery while falling in love for the first time.
Felix Love has never been in love—and, yes, he’s painfully aware of the irony. He desperately wants to know what it’s like and why it seems so easy for everyone but him to find someone. What’s worse is that, even though he is proud of his identity, Felix also secretly fears that he’s one marginalization too many—Black, queer, and transgender—to ever get his own happily-ever-after.
When an anonymous student begins sending him transphobic messages—after publicly posting Felix’s deadname alongside images of him before he transitioned—Felix comes up with a plan for revenge. What he didn’t count on: his catfish scenario landing him in a quasi–love triangle….
But as he navigates his complicated feelings, Felix begins a journey of questioning and self-discovery that helps redefine his most important relationship: how he feels about himself.
Felix Ever After is an honest and layered story about identity, falling in love, and recognizing the love you deserve.“
- We truly need more #OwnVoices trans rep in YA
- It’s intersectionally diverse!
- I’m literally in love with the cover and want to frame it. It’s so powerful to see a cover that shows a black trans teen with visible top-surgery scarring.
- I love YA books that combine lighter themes like first love with heavier themes like identity and self-discovery
- I’ve been hearing amazing things about Kacen’s books and haven’t read any yet. This one is a must-read for me and I’m excited to finally read something from them!
- Because you should be supporting #OwnVoices books by black & trans/queer authors!
- If, like me, you haven’t read anything by Kacen Callender, this sounds like a perfect one to start with!
- The world is scary and stressful, so we all need an uplifting love story
- It’s been getting tons of buzz! Kacen Callender is a Stonewall and Lambda award-winning author, and I’d be surprised if this one doesn’t get nominated for at least a few awards!
Is Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender on your TBR?