Can’t Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings where bloggers share the books they can’t wait for. I use it here on my blog to highlight an upcoming release I’m excited for and tell you why it should be on your TBR!
Title: Clap When You Land
Author: Elizabeth Acevedo
Release date: May 5, 2020
Goodreads Summary: “In a novel-in-verse that brims with grief and love, National Book Award-winning and New York Times-bestselling author Elizabeth Acevedo writes about the devastation of loss, the difficulty of forgiveness, and the bittersweet bonds that shape our lives.
Camino Rios lives for the summers when her father visits her in the Dominican Republic. But this time, on the day when his plane is supposed to land, Camino arrives at the airport to see crowds of crying people…
In New York City, Yahaira Rios is called to the principal’s office, where her mother is waiting to tell her that her father, her hero, has died in a plane crash.
Separated by distance—and Papi’s secrets—the two girls are forced to face a new reality in which their father is dead and their lives are forever altered.
And then, when it seems like they’ve lost everything of their father, they learn of each other.”
- I love both of Elizabeth Acevedo’s previous books, The Poet X and With the Fire on High, and know this one’s going to be just as amazing!
- I’m a sucker for a book about grief and heartbreak
- I love books that center around girls of color, and I adore the fact that this one is about two girls from very different worlds
- The themes of sisterhood, identity, and grief makes it the prefect book to pitch to teen readers at my library
- Because you should be supporting #OwnVoices books by Afro-Latinx authors!
- If you haven’t read anything by Elizabeth, this is a perfect time to start
- Look at that cover! Believe me, you’re gonna want to pick up a copy so you can stare at its beauty.
- It’s in verse, making it the perfect quick read
- It’s already receiving starred reviews
- Seriously, her writing is truly stunning and this is going to be one of your favorite books of the year.
Is Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo on your TBR?